- Register at a Designated Learning Institution. DLIs are Canadian government certified institutions of higher learning that also cater to overseas students.
- You have begun or will begin a program in between spring 2020 and also fall 2020, or your program was already underway in March 2020
- Have a research study authorization, OR authorization for a study authorization, OR look for a research permit before starting your program and are eventually authorized.
- Fulfill all various other PGWP criteria.
PGWP Application In COVID-19 Times
Some PGWP holders may be allowed to apply for new work permits (18 months maximum) from 27 January to 27 July 2021. According to Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada, there are around 52,000 PGWP holders who qualify for this special rule.
To secure a new open work permit, the following should be met:
– You possess a valid PGWP that ended on or after January 30, 2020, or you have at 4 months left on your permit.- You were in Canada since January 27, 2021 when the plan started taking effect and have stayed in the country since.- You have a legitimate short-term permit; or it expired but have actually already started to reinstate it.- Your application states that you are availing the special condition – You have a valid passport. If your passport ends in under 18 months from the day of approval, your open work authorization will just stand for the very same amount of time. The IRCC urges you to ensure that your passport should have 18 months left.
International students should fulfill the following:
- Completed at least 8 months of studies from a DLI. Note that the program you enrolled in should lead to either a diploma, certificate, or degree.
- Became a full-time student in Canada during all academic sessions (Note: Canada waived this condition due to the COVID-19 pandemic and offered exemptions for those who have started or will start schooling between Spring 2020 and Fall 2021, or those whose programs are ongoing since March 2020. Those who filed a leave of absence in their final academic sessions may also be exempted.)
- Have a transcript and official letter from the DLI confirming completion of studies
Note: Those who completed professional and vocational programs in Quebec are required to fulfill additional conditions, depending on the type of diploma earned, as outlined by the IRCC.
While program authorities might ask for extra documentation, the 2 important papers required at the time of using are a letter confirming the conclusion of the program of study and also an official records by their DLI.
Deadline for Application
You must apply for a PGWP within six months or 180 days from obtaining an official letter of completion and transcript. If the study authorization is readied to end before the marks have actually come in, candidates have two options:- make an application for a site visitor record to stay in Canada much longer; or- leave Canada and obtain the PGWP.
Candidates have to show that they either hold a valid research authorization, held a research license, or were authorized to study in Canada without the requirement to acquire a research permit under paragraphs 188( 1 )( a) and also (b) of the Immigration as well as Refugee Protection Regulations.